Saturday, 11 August 2012

What i have been (NOT) reading

Just over a month ago, Savvy Kenya, my favorite Kenyan blogger, did confirm that actually Kenyans do read. So this is a confirmation that we actually read, so we can keep the statistics high. Being a student, i have lost count of what i read on a daily basis, but there are those reading moments that need to go mentioned.
The reading of Elisha Chirchir's 'My Life Sentences- a true story' in one sitting instead of writing my academic essay; the re-reading of  Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's in the Wonderland Series' on the Eurostar to Brussels, and the numerous tweets i follow happily on #KOT. This photo describes when, what and whether i really read anything!
My reading list at a time i should have been writing
an academic essay, April 2012
Several of those books have been read and replaced by others, while others were scanned through and cited in the final paper!
There is also an endless list of what i read and listen to alongside my academic books. As a christian, i read the Bible read almost daily and i am just finishing my study of  Blackaby & King's 'Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the will of God'. I have listened to numerous audios, and music is enough reading at times.
For leisure, my soon-to-be Oxford-Harvard scholar, Laura Pereira, recommended i read again the P.G Woodhouse Series, so i got three of them in my shelf right now. 50 Shades of Grey will definitely be on the list before the year ends.
I am an ardent readers of Biographies and books by some of the great scholars, so besides re-reading Caleostus Juma's books (Soon, i will review 'The New Harvest'), academic papers and scientific blogs on food security, i am about to start reading Michael Sandels great book, 'What money can't buy', I have finished and started reading again all books written by the Late Prof. Wangari Maathai, she draws me close to reality. Same to Hillary Clinton's 'Living History', Nelson Mandela's and now more recently Condoleeza Rice. Some of these were read years ago, but i still keep them in my shelf when i need to refresh my memories.
As a Kenyan, and an African, i am interested in what others write about developing contexts, so now i am still contemplating finishing reading Paul Collier's  on developing countries- 'The Bottom Billion' and 'The Plundered Planet'-i am trying to balance listening to his audios, attending his lectures, and reading these books. One last on the list, is 'Legacy', a gift from joining the global community of Rhodes scholars in 2011. And good news, i just reviewed Michela Wrongs' 'It's out turn to eat'.

1 comment: