Wednesday, 27 August 2014

RQ Series: Nine ways to save those interesting links for future reading and referencing

The other day I realised that, I spend a lot of time reading articles and webpages that are of future interests. Therefore, I sought help from my Facebook community on how to effectively save these links for future reading and for referencing them in my future writing. I am sharing with you the many ideas that I got. I have adopted Bookmarks and Zotero in the meantime, and planning to use Refworks and NCapture in the future. I will try the rest for diversity of options and knowledge. Thanks to all those who contributed!
  1. Bookmarks – I had always bookmarked, but I had never explored how much I can do with bookmarks. Now I have discovered that I can create folders where I can categorize my favourite links and visit the sites in future for reading or updates. The downside of bookmarks is that I can only access the links when online
  2. Zotero – Download it for free. Zotero allows you save the records of the webpage (not its content though) and use it as an academic reference with all those different reference formats. Zotero is a plus because I can reference the same articles while offline.
  3. Refworks - If you are using Refworks, you can add 'refgrab' it to your bookmarks and that will add the website address to your database of references
  4. NVIVO - If you have started using NVIVO, the NCapture Add-on is great. You should see what it does with Twitter!
  5. Inoreader - is an RSS reader which is useful to keep track of all updates of a particular website or blog. Inoreader helps you find and keep track of interesting stuff on the web. You can subscribe to your favourite blogs and websites and keep up with what's new. New content comes to your Inoreader when it's posted, so you don't need to visit individual websites every time to check for something new. It keeps track of which items you've read, so you only see the unread items when you come back. It also keeps the full history of your subscriptions, so you can search in them at any time. I am yet to try this out.
  6. Evernote - It's great software to keep notes and they have a tool for saving webpages.
  7. Feedly – Said to be the best substitute for Google Reader. With Feedly you can save the webpages using personalized tags
  8. Mendeley -  Free, easy to use referencing in word, but also a 'save to Mendeley' button that can be added to a web browser
  9. DeliciousIt’s a social bookmarking tool that I have never used but has been recommended for years now!

No comments:

Post a Comment