Friday, 26 June 2015

Bits and Pieces from The story of my life

As the sun rises and sets, so does this journey continue...
For five years now, and as you can see from here, I have been trying very hard to finish writing the story of my life. It’s not difficult to write, it is rather painful to recall some memories and realize you have grown through them. Today I will share some captions from a few of the chapters I have already written. Pray that one day I will finish this book and publish.
… This is the Nth time I am trying to finish this book project. For the last five years, many people whom I mention in this book have encouraged me to write this story of my life, but I never get myself to finish it. Not because I am discouraged. It’s because, well, I am a normal human being who refuses sometimes to push herself to the limits even when she knows that it’s for the good of humanity. I have my faults too. I would rather sleep for ten hours, or watch some movies rather than work on a piece that would save another soul. God forgive us…

…His certificate for completing primary school in the 1960s still hangs on our sitting room wall. I have not framed any of my certificates; but this one of my father, it is the constant reminder to the Mwaura family that we are a family destined to work hard in education. My mother, the loveliest woman in this world and who comes second to my God. She does not have one of these certificates. She tells me she was pulled out of school at grade three when her elder sister got married…

…Not only was the motivation coming from my father who believed that all his daughters must be educated; but also because I could see the struggles of my family and I wanted, I yearned, for something better. I wanted more from life. When I say I wanted more from life, I mean my mother taught me that life can give you more if you ask for it. My mother is the kind of woman who never uttered anything negative to her children, and even when she did, she would call you back when her anger had calm down, and she would love you again. She loved us the tough way. She taught us we can never fail, because have to try and try until we can make it. She taught us to aspire only for the best…

…I just surrendered to God and said I needed a change. All I wanted was to be happy. I remember I said I would not leave if I was not happy. I did not leave. And I knew it would be a battle to be happy, but I started to try after that. The dull days started to reduce. I started having exciting moments. I started having brighter days; Laughing; Being in the moment. But it would not last long. Because in 2005, the year I was to join university…

…It is through that simple act that I learnt to listen to God and what He was calling me into; something greater than my defensive life; something greater than my depressed life; something greater than working hard. God was calling me into service for humankind. And through The Journey, I felt reassured that even the activities I did with KUNEC were as fulfilling as any other ministry. And I sprang from here, and I grew and grew, and this is where I am today. Still growing because God is not yet done with me. I might not be making tea anymore, but I still find myself reconnecting with the amazing tasks that God lays ahead of me to perform. It is indeed a journey…


No comments:

Post a Comment